Pages


"The more pasisonate the cook, the better the flavors" -Charles M. Carroll

Monday, April 8, 2013

Fresh Ingredients

 Spring is always an exciting time of the year. The trees are budding, colorful flowers are blooming, and our part of the world is becoming green again. For me, spring brings the anticipation of eating fresh(er) fruits and vegetables. I love visiting the roadside stands and picking out the best apples, melons, and fresh corn.

Vibrant purple Hyacinth. It smelled SO good.

Fresh ingredients are the best ingredients. There is no contest about it. Try it yourself. Take a can of canned corn (my husband, for some reason, loves canned corn) and a fresh ear of corn. Eat the two types side by side and you can taste a difference. Both taste like corn, but the fresher corn has a bigger depth of flavor. Plus it's doesn't taste like preservatives.

My love of fresh ingredients comes from my family. My siblings and I grew up tilling, planting, weeding, and harvesting our small garden. It is a beautiful and exciting process to see a tiny seed be planted, poke out of the ground and become a full fledged plant. I tried to learn as much as I could about the different plants and their varying needs.  Those same concepts I learned as a young whippersnapper are used at Savory.

We believe in using only the freshest ingredients from our approved sources. Just yesterday Chef Lou had me taste test some muffins we were sampling from a store. She picked up on a slight preservative aftertaste in the muffin and we decided that we could make a better tasting, fresher muffin. We also translate that same idea of working together into our own catering family.

See the difference yourself! Whether your home be big or small, try growing your own garden. Plant some fresh herbs, an upside-down tomato plant, fruit trees, peppers, squash, etc.

Cook with fresh ingredients, it'll make all the difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment